Hello Family, Friends, and Patients:
Most of you are taking vitamin D3 w/K2 and likely have a low risk of serious COVID infection should you contract the virus. The article below talks about the benefits and the research on how vitamin D is protective against severe COVID infections.
I copied the top portion and summary of the article from Dr. Joseph Mercola. The link to the entire article is at the bottom. It mentions that taking magnesium, zinc and possibly quercetin can likely add additional protection. And, this is against any virus not just COVID.
Have a healthy summer, get some sunshine, and take your supplements.
George H Kramer, M.D.
How to Fix the COVID-19 Crisis in 30-Days
- The COVID-19 pandemic could be resolved in 30 days for about $2 per person, simply by taking affirmative action to raise vitamin D levels among the general public
- Optimizing your vitamin D could reduce your risk of severe COVID-19 by 90% and your risk of dying from it by 96%
- Data from 20 European countries found the probability of developing and dying from COVID-19 is negatively correlated with mean population vitamin D status; both probabilities reach zero at vitamin D levels above 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L)
- Warnings about “excessive vitamin D intakes” being dangerous are misleading and unwarranted, as toxicity has not been demonstrated until you hit blood levels above 200 ng/mL (500 nmol/L)
- Quercetin and zinc may further lower your risk of COVID-19, as well as time-restricted eating and a cyclical ketogenic diet as they both decrease insulin resistance
- Ketone esters and molecular hydrogen can be useful acutely. The MATH+ Protocol appears to also be effective for those with serious disease, especially implemented early in the hyperinflammatory phase of the disease
In a June 22, 2020, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service press release, Damien Downing, president of the British Society for Ecological Medicine, outlines how we could resolve the COVID-19 pandemic in 30 days for about $2 per person, simply by taking affirmative action to raise vitamin D levels. The downside or risk of doing this is basically nil, while the potential gain could be avoiding another COVID-19 spike altogether.
“If we could arrange to give everyone vitamin D, and it failed to protect them, so what? The risk from not acting is much greater than the risk from acting,” Downing says, adding: “If you caught the COVID19 virus right now, having a good vitamin D status (from already having taken a supplement) would:
- Reduce your risk of the disease becoming severe by 90%
- Reduce your risk of dying by 96%
This is not ‘proven’ or ‘evidence-based’ until we have done controlled trials comparing it to placebo … But the data, already strong, has been pouring in since the start of the pandemic.”
Although the required prospective randomized controlled trials using vitamin D have not yet been completed, they are indeed underway and results from many will be in before year’s end.
You can visit the clinical trials registry to review the current state of these trials.2,3 As of June 2020, there were over 20 studies in progress on the use of vitamin D in COVID-19.